Blackenbrook Family Reserve Pinot Noir 2014 has won a Gold medal and Best in Show for New Zealand Red Wine at one of Europe’s leading wine competitions, the Mundus Vini Grand International Wine Awards in Germany.
This is the latest in a series of top-shelf wine industry accolades for the Tasman-based family vineyard.
“Mundus Vini Grand International Wine Awards is now judged twice a year, in February and in August, with nearly 10,000 wines submitted each year,” says Blackenbrook Vineyard co-owner Ursula Schwarzenbach. “Mundus Vini judges are extremely tough and being awarded a gold is a very significant achievement.”
Ursula and Daniel Schwarzenbach are more knowledgeable than most about the rigorous judging process, as Daniel usually chairs a panel at the August tasting.
Winning gold at Mundus Vini is particularly important for Blackenbrook because Germany is a key export market for its wines. “This accolade will help our German importers to build a premium reputation for our wines,” says Ursula.
It’s particularly satisfying to see a Pinot Noir from Nelson doing so well, she says. “Nelson is producing world-class Pinot Noir but due to its small production only rarely features in the list of gold medal winners for this noble variety.”
“2014 was a fantastic vintage for us. All the factors lined up to produce amazing concentration in our grapes. All our 2014 wines are of exceptional quality, bringing home two trophies (for Gewürtztraminer and Reserve Pinot Noir) and three Gold Medals.
“From the day we picked the grapes for the 2014 Pinot Noir, Daniel was excited with the quality, always maintaining that this would be the best Pinot Noir so far produced at Blackenbrook – it’s great to see his gut feeling was right!”
About Mundus Vini:
Mundus Vini was founded 15 years ago by Meininger Verlag and rapidly became one of the most significant wine competitions in the world.
About Blackenbrook Vineyard:
Blackenbrook Vineyard is in Tasman near Nelson (New Zealand) and is owned by Daniel and Ursula Schwarzenbach. All Blackenbrook wines are 100% sustainably produced and accredited by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand. Its white and rose wines are vegan, certified by the New Zealand Vegetarian Society. Blackenbrook Vineyard’s wine is available for sale directly from the Blackenbrook website www.blackenbrook.co.nz
Awards and accolades for Blackenbrook:
• Mundus Vini Grand International Wine Awards 2016: Gold medal and Best in Show for New Zealand Red Wine
• Bragato Wine Awards 2015: Trophy for best Gewürtztraminer for Blackenbrook Gewürtztraminer 2014
• Bragato Wine Awards 2014: Trophy for best Pinot Gris for Blackenbrook Pinot Gris 2013
• New Zealand International Wine Show 2008: Trophy for best Pinot Gris for Blackenbrook Reserve Pinot Gris 2008
• New Zealand International Wine Show 2007: Trophy for best Sauvignon Blanc for Blackenbrook Sauvignon Blanc 2007
• Bragato Wine Awards 2007: Trophy for best Sauvignon Blanc for Blackenbrook Sauvignon Blanc 2007
Ph 03 526 6888 or 027 4340697