The Air New Zealand Wine Awards are a true hallmark of excellence and quality in the New Zealand wine industry and yet again, Villa Maria has excelled winning 11 Pure Gold medals at the iconic event.
The country’s most renowned wine competition has been running for over 30 years, with Chair of Judges Michael Brajkovich MW passing comment on the standard of the entries as “outstanding”. Brajkovich and a panel of 26 esteemed wine experts judged the 1552 wine entries and awarded a total of 749 medals, 112 of which were gold. The elite gold medal and trophy winners will be announced at the awards dinner on the 22nd of November in Hawkes Bay.
Six different wine styles gained pure gold medal recognition for Villa Maria: Pinot Noir, Syrah, Albarino, Riesling, Chardonnay and a desert wine. Four Chardonnays across the Reserve and Single Vineyard range received the pure gold accolade, showcasing the exceptional and distinct quality of this variety which will always hold a special place in the hearts of Kiwis.
Alastair Maling MW, General Manager of Wineries at Villa Maria comments:
“I am delighted to see a range of gold medals for a wide range of wines across four regions – Auckland, Gisborne, Hawkes Bay and Marlborough. To top this off it is also extremely exciting to get Pure Gold for our very first Albarino. This is a great result for the Villa Maria team.”
For Villa Maria, who are committed to being a 100% family and New Zealand owned winery, it has already been an incredible year. Villa Maria can celebrate not only the Pure Gold’s at The Air New Zealand Wine Award, but every grape, every bottle and every pair of hands that helped make Villa Maria the New Zealand success story it is today.
A summary of Villa Maria’s gold medal results
- Villa Maria Cellar Selection Marlborough Dry Riesling 2013
- Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Dry Riesling 2012
- Villa Maria Reserve Hawkes Bay Chardonnay 2013
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Taylors Pass Chardonnay 2013
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Ihumatao Chardonnay 2012
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Taylors Pass Chardonnay 2011
- Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Noble Riesling Botrytis Selection 2013
- Villa Maria Reserve Marlborough Pinot Noir 2013
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard Southern Clays Pinot Noir 2012
- Villa Maria Cellar Selection Hawkes Bay Syrah 2013
- Villa Maria Cellar Selection Gisborne Albariño 2014
Jennifer Watts MW
Tel: +64 (9) 2551754
General Manager Winemaking
Tel: +64 (9) 2550676