2012 Releases from Q Wine down in the Waitaki Valley Wine Region.
The Waitaki Valley wine region is relatively new to the NZWINE scene although some producers have been growing grapes there for a few years now: the Ostler Vineyard, Pasquale Viticultura, Valli Wines and John Forrest to name a few – one of the lastest to produce great wine from that region is Q Wine – http://qwine.co.nz/
I had a chance to look at the 2011 Pinot Gris and 2011 Pinot Noir from Q Wine last year and in front of me I now have the 2012 vintage of both wines, thanks Jules for sending them up.
I’ve been a bit busy of late and these wines have been quietly sitting in the office alongside a few others just waiting for the day I’d have soe time to open them up so they could tickle my taste buds and I have to say well the worth the wait…
Q Wine 2012 Pinot Gris
Bright Lemon – gold in the glass , pears, stonefruit and a hint of ginger spice in the nose, Initially got a dry pear-skin texural mouthfeel on the palate but then this succulent fresh fruit bursts out, and the creamy texture with concentrated nectarine and beautifully balanced and integrated lemon lime citrus acidity fills the mouth – a well rounded wine – we both loved it – it was a wonderful match to our marinated chicken kebabs and green salad with mango chilli dressing. A beautiful example of what can be done with the Pinot Gris grape. Alc/V13% RRP $32
Q Wine 2012 Pinot Noir
OMG! This has to be one of the nicest Pinot Noirs I’ve tasted this year – Hand harvested from Q Wine’s single vineyard 3% of the grapes are whole bunch presewhile the remainder 97% are destemmed before fermentation in 28% new and 72% old French Barrels. The wine is a deep dark-cherry / plum coloured wine in the glass with masses of black berries, plums and liquorice, and a subtle savoury note in the nose. A medium bodied wine that surprises with a complex palate of concentrated berries and dark plum fruit – amazing depth of flavour, very soft silky tannins and nice textural oak influence leading into a long memorable finish. Stunning stuff… Alc/v 13.5 RRP $50