The NZ Organic Library Stock Wine Awards (Vintage wine awards) were launched in 2018 as a proof of concept, to both discover without doubt how certain wines are ageing, and to then promote the cellaring potential of these wines to consumers.
The concept proved popular among wineries and consumers seeking a validated opinion on a wines cellaring potential. Initially slated to run as an annual event, this has now been refined to a biennial event, judging two vintages (5 and 6 years).
This event was focused on the 2016 and 2017 vintages. 2016 was a notable growing season, especially in Central Otago. High temperatures and high rainfall created challenging conditions, but rewarded with a high quality harvest. Syrah and Pinot Noir fared particularly well through 2016.
2017 on the contary was cooler and drier than average, creating lower yields, but high quality fruit, especially for Marlborough’s Sauvignon Blanc. As with previous events, entries are limited to wineries currently holding organic certification. The vintage entered was not required to be organic at the time of harvest.
Wines were judged as per the NZ Organic Wine Awards standard scoring criteria and then awarded a corresponding star rating (to differentiate these from the main NZ Organic Wine Awards accolades). A far higher proportion of wines were awarded than our mainstrean
award, especially at the higher end of the scale (5 star). We attribute this to both the increased maturity of the wines, but also the competing wineries being more selective about which wines they enter.
Here are the results:
- Champion Chardonnay: Giesen Single Vineyard Clayvin Chardonnay 2017
- Champion Pinot Noir: Peregrine Pinot Noir 2016
- Champion Riesling: Amisfield Lowburn Terrace Riesling 2017
- Champion Sparkling: Quartz Reef Methode Traditionnelle Vintage Blanc de Blancs 2017
The following wines have been awarded the highest accolades available for 2022. A 5 star library stock rating represents an exceptional wine.
- Giesen Single Vineyard Clayvin Chardonnay 2017
- Quartz Reef Bendigo Single Ferment Pinot Noir 2016
- Quartz Reef Pinot Noir 2016
- Peregrine Pinot Noir 2016
- Amisfield Breakneck Reserve Pinot Noir 2016
- Quartz Reef Methode Traditionnelle Vintage Blanc de Blancs 2017
- Terrace Edge 2016 Syrah
- Peregrine Charcoal Creek Riesling 2016
- Amisfield Lowburn Terrace Riesling 2017
The following wines have been awarded a four star rating, or highly reccomended for 2022.
- October 30 Chardonnay 2016
- The Darling Chardonnay 2016
- Quartz Reef Bendigo Single Ferment Pinot Noir 2017
- Domaine Thomson ‘Surveyor Thomson’ Single Vineyard Central Otago Pinot Noir 2017
- Two Paddocks The Fusilier, Bannockburn Pinot Noir 2017
- The Darling Pinot Noir 2016
- Rippon Pinot Noir 2016
- Amisfield Breakneck Reserve Pinot Noir 2017
- Peregrine Pinot Noir 2017
- Terrace Edge 2016 Pinot Noir
- Amisfield Chenin Blanc 2017
- Two Paddocks Riesling 2017
- Terrace Edge 2016 Liquid Geography Riesling
- Amisfield Dry Riesling 2017
The following wines have been awarded three stars, or recommended for 2022.
- Quartz Reef Pinot Noir 2017
- Two Paddocks Pinot Noir 2017
- Rippon 2017 Pinot Noir
- Villa Maria Single Vineyard The Attorney Pinot Noir 2017
- Amisfield Chenin Blanc 2016
- Quartz Reef Pinot Gris 2017
- Terrace Edge 2016 Classic Riesling
- Amisfield Lowburn Terrace Riesling 2016
- Amisfield Dry Riesling 2016